Wednesday 2 May 2012

Day 30 - Copacabana, Bolivia to Puno, Peru (17 April 2012)


This morning we wake up relatively early for a 9am bus to Puno, Peru.  It is going to be sad leaving Bolivia but hopefully the new country has better fortunes for my health.  We get on the bus and leave about a half hour late (typical 'Bolivian time').  It is about a 15 minute drive to the Bolivia/Peru border.  I decide to go to the toilet before we head into Peru as we didnt have any Peruvian money (Soles).  When we go through the border we notice an immediate difference in the highway.  The road is marked properly and the paving is far superior.   Peru is an hour behind Bolivia, so we turn our watches back.  We then continue on the three hour drive to Puno which is on the northern part of Lake Titicaca.  The drive is quite nice as we are effectively driving around the lake front.  We are staying at Hostel Uros for 40 soles a night (NZ 20).  I decide to stay at the hostal while Ann has a look around Puno.  I am still not feeling well and it is p*ssing me off! After about half an hour of feeling sorry for myself, I decide to go for a walk myself around the city.  It was only for about half an hour but I managed to get a good sense of direction for the place.  I head back to the hostal and find Ann waiting outside the room.  She has found a restaurant with wifi and we head there for lunch.  The restaurant was empty (not a good sign...) but we stayed for a couple of hours doing our thing on the internet.  The guy managing the shop didnt care as there was an important football match on so him and one of his mates didnt take their eyes off the game.  I think it was a Champions League semi final. We both head into town and get some lunch and go on the internet to send emails.  After our very long lunch, we book ourselves onto a floating island tour for tomorrow.  The tour costs us 35 Soles (NZ 17.50).  We then head to a museum but it is closed for renovations.  We then wander around the city a bit more and then head to the supermarket to buy some food for breakfast and snacks for the following day.  We haven’t seen a supermarket since La Serena  in Chile, so we are very excited to see a supermarket again.  In Bolivia you would only see market stalls selling food.  This wouldnt appeal to me if I lived in Bolivia because you would see heaps of meat thrown in the back of a truck and blood dripping from the truck.  Not ideal.  So great to see meat in a fridge or freezer in the supermarket!!! We then have an early dinner, then we head back to the hostel for an early night (still on Bolivian time).  We are asleep by 9.20pm! I needed the early night, hopefully I am feeling better in the morning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment