Wednesday 9 May 2012

Day 44 - Arequipa, Peru (1 May 2012)

Day 44 – Arequipa, Peru (1 May 2012)

We wake up this morning and pack our bags, we will be leaving Arequipa tonight so will leave our bags at the hostel for the day while we explore.  In saying that we have just about covered Arequipa, and would have caught a day bus if it had been available (today was a public holiday in Peru, Labour Day).  We have a look around town and buy our customary postcard, I have a good collection of these now!  We decide to have lunch on the same balcony as the day before, this time at the restaurant neighbouring the restaurant we went to a couple of days ago.  It was another beautiful meal.  We once again both got the set menu, and I ordered another Lamb Saltado.  I really wanna learn how to cook these and I will, c’mon google help me out here!!!
After lunch we continue to wander and explore the city and then we decide to head back to the hostel until it was bus time.  We had booked a bus in the city today but it was very hard to book a bus as it was a public holiday and alot of Peruvians had gone away for a long weekend.  We finally had found a bus with two seats on it, it was a Cama bus but was a wee bit more expensive than usual.  Didn’t matter though as we wanted to move on.  We got to the bus station and we find out that the tickets are not cama, they are semi-cama which will make sleeping pretty much impossible.  I’m not happy about this but I can’t do anything about it as I wouldn’t be able to communicate with the bus staff.  To say I ‘grinned and beared’ it would be lying, I had to put up with it.  I was not happy.  We got on the bus and we were given a hot meal which was a nice surprise, things were looking up! It was a nice chicken and rice meal, although I try and stay away from chicken in South America but when you don’t have a choice, you don’t have a choice.  We were then given Inka Cola and a cup of tea.  I was enjoying my cup of tea, just waiting for it to cool a bit more, and suddenly a bag dropped from the overhead compartment and landed directly on my cup of tea, causing me to spill it all over myself.  If I was in a cartoon, smoke would be steaming out of my ears, I was not a happy chappy.  I left the bag on the ground and the bus attendant picked it up and asked everyone if it was their bag, no one responded.  Ann later told me that when I was having a wee snooze the lady opposite me claimed the bag.  Didn’t even get a small apology.  How rude! As the bus went on, people started going to sleep, including the guy sitting next to the lady with the bag.  His snoring was incredible, I didn’t know humans could snore that loud.  He would have woken the whole bus and he had to be sitting next to me.  This didn’t help my mood.  During the night I had a couple of snoozes but I have definitely had better sleeps before.

No comments:

Post a Comment