Friday 4 May 2012

Day 34 - Cusco, Peru (21 April 2012)

Day 34 – Cusco, Peru (21 April 2012)

Today we go out for breakfast at a place that overlooks the Plaza de Armes.  My breakfast is only continental, BORING!!! But I guess I want to get better as soon as possible, I am sick of being sick! In saying that I am feeling a lot better today, but I will go on doctors orders and have a boring diet until tomorrow night.  I wanna be in supreme condition for the Inca Trail.  After breakfast we head to the Cathedral and buy the religious circuit ticket which gets us entry into three churches and one museum for 50 soles (NZ 25) each. The cathedral was built in the 1500s.  This is by far the largest church I have been in.  There are actually three separate churches in this one cathedral, all combined into one.  The main part of the cathedral has about a dozen.  This cathedral also has two tombs in here.  We have a look at them, they are interesting.  Reverends are still being buried in these tombs as the last person to be put in here was in 2010.  It takes us a long time to wander through this Cathedral.  I still find it interesting how churches are charging people money to have a wander through, they even charge foreigners to come into the church when there is a mass in progress.  Disgusting.  After this we decide to go to the San Blas church.  This church isn’t as impressive but you can climb up to the bell tower and you get a semi good view of the city and the main Plaza de Armes.  We then head off to an Irish pub (Paddy’s pub) as we agreed the night before to meet Nico to watch an important football game (Real Madrid vs Barcelona, classic battle) that he was eager to see.  It is also a good time for me to have a big lunch as I have to take a big dose of drugs at lunch time.  We had a great time at the pub.  The place was packed for the match, I have a feeling everyone was from Europe however as everyone had a favourite team.  Good atmosphere for the couple of hours we were there and the lunch was good too.  For the record Real Madrid beat Barcelona 2-1 and effectively wrapped up the championship with the win.  After lunch we go to the Templo De la Compania de Jesus which is the main temple in the main square.  We are allowed to climb the stairs to the bell tower and we get a nice view of the Plaza de Armes which is the main square that this church is on.  We then head to the Religious Art Museum as it is the last thing to see on our tickets.  This is pretty lame and we walk through it all in about 20 minutes.  I wouldn’t have gone here but it was part of the ticket so why not?  However, art is definitely not my baby.  We then go for a walk to the Iglesia de Santo Domingo.  This church costs us 10 soles to enter.  There is a convent attached to this church with the original walls from the 1500s.  We walk around here for about an hour.  We then meet Nico for dinner.  We head to a restaurant called Victor Victoria.  Once again I had to get a lame meal but only 24 hours until a nice big juicy steak!!!! I will need a bit of meat in me before my big trek, although I have heard that the meals on the Inca Trail are quite nice, we shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment