Friday 1 June 2012

Day 71 - Bogota, Colombia (28 May 2012)

Day 71 – Bogota, Colombia (28 May 2012)

We have finished everything we want to see in Bogota, so today we are going to venture out to a town about an hour out of Bogota called Zipaquira.  This town’s main attraction is the underground salt cathedral.  However, first things first, after several weeks, I am finally going to have my debit card back! If you can remember back to around day 40, I lost my credit card, still have no idea where I left it.  I ordered a new card and I got it sent to the New Zealand consulate in Bogota and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.  Ann and I take a taxi to the office of the husband of the NZ Consulate as she is overseas on business.  Here we collected my debit card, had a chat with the guy and we were on our way to Zipaquira! To get to Zipaquira we had to take the metro to the most northern point we could get to, and then catch a direct bus which left every ten minutes.  When we arrived at the Salt Cathedral, we saw the New Zealander that we met at our hostel in Quito and his mate.  We made our way down to the Cathedral which was born from an old salt mine, dug straight into a mountain outside Zipaquira.  The mines have been intensively exploited but still contain reserves that will last another 500 years.  As we walk through the mine, each station of the cross was represented and had monuments.  The last station of the cross represented the entrance to the Cathedral.  It was incredible to see a Cathedral, underground, and of salt.  It was set up like any other church.  If anything it was set up for the tourist though.  We then walked out of the Salt Cathedral, and through the township for a bit of exploration, which didn’t take long at all! We then caught the bus back into town, went to the supermarket to get some dinner and some snacks for our bus trip to Medellin the next day, got some money out on my new debit card (yes it works, now I don’t have to live off Ann) then went back to the hostel as it was getting dark by this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment