Friday 8 June 2012

Day 81 - Cartagena, Colombia to Montevideo, Uruguay (7 June 2012)

Day 81 – Cartagena, Colombia to Montevideo, Uruguay (7 June 2012)
We wake this morning and it is hot and sticky, the hostel we were staying at was not the greatest and did not have the best fan to help keep us cool.  I guess that’s what you get when you try and save a few dollars.  We decide that we have finished with Cartagena, by finished I mean that we had finished seeing all that we wanted to see, it is a beautiful city.  Also we didn’t want to fight the super heat again that always drained us.  Our flight leaves Cartagena at 3.20pm destined for Montevideo, Uruguay, so we decide to spend the morning at the hostel catching up on photos and our blogs, it was a nice relaxing morning.   About lunchtime we decide to check out of the hostel and get a taxi to the airport.  When checking out we ask the lady behind the counter if she could call us a taxi, she says she only has a cell phone and doesn’t want to call them off that.  That’s ok we thought, so I waited outside to wave down a cab.  About five minutes pass before a cab pulls over for me, but during that time the phone in the hostel rings.  The lady behind the counter hides under the counter to answer it, but Ann can see her talking on the phone and we did hear the phone ring lady! She was just being lazy and not wanting to call a taxi.  Very interesting.  Anyway we get to the airport, check in (only for the domestic flight to Bogota) and wait.  Our flight is pretty much on time and it is smooth flying to Bogota.  In Bogota we have to get our bags and check them in for our international flight to Montevideo, via Sau Paulo in Brazil.  Yes, it is a very long winded three flight haul for us.  We check in all fine but as we are going through customs and the x-ray machine I am stopped and told to open my bag.  I had my first aid kit in my carryon luggage and what do you know, I have my plastic 2 inch long scissors in there which they want to confiscate.  As they were going through my stuff they also found some duct tape that I had in my bag from when I was playing footy (which has come in handy on the trip) and the officials confiscated that too.  Ann thought this was quite funny that I was taking illegal objects onto a flight.  We have a bite to eat to get rid of the little Colombia Peso’s that we have left and then it is time to board our flight to Sau Paulo, which once again was on time!  The flight was six hours and had no entertainment whatsoever, a reasonably good dinner though and a couple of beers to go with it.  There was a 4 year old kid who didn’t stop screaming through the whole flight though which disrupted the sleep patterns, but other than that we arrived in Sau Paulo unscathed, at 3am! And here I am, 3.30am writing my blog for today with Ann asleep beside me taking up 3 seats and using my Kathmandu jacket for warmth.  I got a bit of sleep on the previous flight and Ann didn’t, so I took one for the team and stayed up while she got some shut eye, and by the looks of her I think she needed it.  I should also mention that we have moved forward two hours so we are now only 15 hours behind New Zealand time (or 9 hours in front of NZ, minus a day).  Our next and final flight is at 9am, still another five or so hours until boarding, and it is about 2 and a half hour flight to Montevideo, Uruguay.

No comments:

Post a Comment